CTTF

Canadian Trappers Talk Forum

All content posted is the sole property of the forum member who made the post. Such content shall not be reproduced in anyway without written consent from the individual member who made the post. Any act to do so will be considered copyright infringement.
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:53 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:59 pm 

Province/State: manitoba
City/Town: winnipeg
Organization Membership: None
new to the site. i have harvested my first beaver, and would like make my son a hat. i shot the beaver in the head and left it till the next day to drift closer to shore. the next day i took the beaver out of the cold water and baged it to keep the bugs away. sat like that for a day in the shade. when i got home i put it in the deep freezer. week later thawed it out and removed the pelt and flesh. nailed it to a piece of plywood and air dried it. cool and with a fan on it, no salt. what i wanted to know was what to do next. i have the orange bottle of tanning stuff. but that starts with a green hide. any input would be awsome.

thanks in advance.... kenney

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:44 pm 

I cant tell u much about tanning hides, other than check out some utube videos. I would suggest reading rule #6 on page 9 of the Manitoba Trapping Guide before heading out beaver hunting again.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:22 pm 

oh no i do understand not to shoot a beaver in the water. but if shot on shore and it decides to head for the pond what can i do other then wait till the next day. i have a few problem beaver on my property and if shooting one and making a hat for my son is a problem then bring on the problem solvers.......

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:33 pm 
Veteran Fur Harvester
Veteran Fur Harvester

Province/State: Ontario
City/Town: Timmins
Organization Membership: Timmins Fur Council
You can rehydrate a pelt that you have dried when you want to tan it, but in my experience it's better and easier to work from a fresh hide. If you know you are going to tan something but don't have the time right away it is better to freeze it instead of drying it for preservation. I have not used the orange bottle tanning solution, but many guys on here have posted in the past that it doesn't produce a garment quality tan with beaver. Good enough for a wall hanger, but not to make a hat. There are many different was to tan a hide, if you read through the posts you can see what some guys are using. I order from van dykes taxidermy in South Carolina as they have the products I like, but the shipping costs more than the product. Good luck with your hat.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:12 am 
Veteran Fur Harvester
Veteran Fur Harvester

Province/State: Ont
City/Town: Ottawa
Organization Membership: OFHA, OFMF, OMG
If you don't have a boat around use your fishing rod and a lure with a couple of treble hooks to haul it in. The hook just gets hung up in the fur, not penetrating the skin.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:12 pm 
Trapper
Trapper

Province/State: Manitoba
City/Town: Teulon
Organization Membership: manitoba trappers assoc. teulon game and fish. manitoba wildlife federation
beaver will NOT come out soft and supple using orange trapper formula. the process i found for home tan beaver to make mitts and hats requires much more work. pickle, shave,degrease, wash, semi dry, Liqui Tan, dry, and BREAK hide. i tan all beavers at home this way and lots of work but results in a $400 pair of mitts. well worth it. my 2cents.

Last edited by jbd on Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:35 am 

City/Town: Inwood
Organization Membership: Manitoba Trappers Association
Does brain tanning work with beaver and what would the process be, has anyone tried it, do the brains take the place of the tanning solution? I have about 40 skinned, but not fleshed, in the freezer from last march and I'd really like to tan them.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:19 pm 
Trapper
Trapper

Organization Membership: manitoba trappers assoc. teulon game and fish. manitoba wildlife federation
never tried brain tanning on anything. If you are gonna make garments stick with synthetic tanning.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:33 pm 
Veteran Fur Harvester
Veteran Fur Harvester

City/Town: Southern Ontario
JBD is correct. Your pickle will need to be a ph of 2 and you will need to super saturate the solution with a lot of table salt. This solution will also rehydrate the dry beaver hide as well as swell the hide. When you swell the hide you then run it through a fleshing machine to thin the hide out ( I made my own machine). This allows for the tanning agents to penetrate deeper and all of the way through. It also allows you to break the hide easier. After pickling and shaving, you need to degrease because beaver is very greasy. You want your hide to come out dry looking and not greasy looking. Use your method of tanning and then break the hide to make it soft. A whole bunch of work and really labor intensive when it comes to breaking the hide.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:26 pm 
Veteran Fur Harvester
Veteran Fur Harvester

City/Town: Haileybury
Organization Membership: OFMF, Temagami Fur council
Darton, I would love to see a picture of your homemade fleshing machine.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:07 pm 
Trapper
Trapper

Province/State: Newfoundland
City/Town: Bonavista
Organization Membership: NLTA
Where would you buy rittles tanning kit? Preferably in Canada to avoid the exchange rate.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:04 pm 
Trapper
Trapper

emb8204 wrote:
Where would you buy rittles tanning kit? Preferably in Canada to avoid the exchange rate.

maybe AAA taxidermy supply, Calgary ? Not sure it has his name anymore ? I use liqua-tan. Halfords.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:12 am 
Veteran Fur Harvester
Veteran Fur Harvester

Province/State: Alberta
City/Town: NE
Organization Membership: ATA
I find it easiest to break in the hide when it's drying when it's stretched out on a wood frame.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 1:52 am 
Veteran Fur Harvester
Veteran Fur Harvester

Province/State: Saskatchewan
City/Town: Central
what is the best to use for degreasing a beaver hide when tanning it?