CTTF

Canadian Trappers Talk Forum

All content posted is the sole property of the forum member who made the post. Such content shall not be reproduced in anyway without written consent from the individual member who made the post. Any act to do so will be considered copyright infringement.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:52 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:10 pm 

Province/State: Ontario
City/Town: New Liskeard
Organization Membership: None, at the moment
I have read a lot about the different methods of tanning and their different purposes for use; such as, garment tanning vs taxidermy tanning. The different chemicals used and the different ways of processing the hides. But I still am not totally sure I understand completely.

I have been looking into trying to find a commercial tanning course. I have spoken to two such companies and they both tell me that they only teach tanning methods used for the taxidermy hides and not for garments. Now this is where my confusion begins. They each tell me that garment tanning (fur on tanning) uses different chemicals due to the longevity required by the furs. Do the taxidermy hides, skins and mounts not last as long as garment tans, I would think that they would be required to last a very long time as well. Can I not learn from the commercial tanning classes? These companies, I am sure, want people to attend their classes so it must of been hard to advise me otherwise. Can there really be that much difference in the methods. I am not so much questioning their knowledge as I am just trying to understand, fully, the differences.

Fester

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:18 pm 
Veteran Fur Harvester
Veteran Fur Harvester

Province/State: Ontario
City/Town: Smooth Rock
Organization Membership: OFMF
Garments require a tan that wont leach out of the leather with repeated exposure to moisture(sweat,rain etc).Also the leather needs to be supple and stretchy when dry.
Taxi tan does not need the above qualities.
You will have a difficult time learning to garment tan as a lot of the methods and processes are trade secrets,and are protected.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:09 am 
Veteran Fur Harvester
Veteran Fur Harvester

Province/State: saskatchewan
City/Town: central
Organization Membership: North American Trap Collectors, Ontario Fur Managers, Saskatchewan Trappers, British Columbia Trappers Association, National Trappers Association, Canadian National Trappers Association
What Wabush says is true.
Theres alot of free information On Tman and You tube.
You will have to experiment and figure out what works best for you. The you tube guys would most likely be more than willing to answer questions. Mudry and Modern did a bit with HOW ITS MADE and I toured the factory when I was down there. Most of it is not rocket science.