CTTF

Canadian Trappers Talk Forum

All content posted is the sole property of the forum member who made the post. Such content shall not be reproduced in anyway without written consent from the individual member who made the post. Any act to do so will be considered copyright infringement.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:30 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fleshing Machine
PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 12:04 pm 
Veteran Fur Harvester
Veteran Fur Harvester

Province/State: Ontario
City/Town: Southern Ontario
Organization Membership: None
Made this Fleshing Machine. I made it out of stainless steel. We have scrap metal company that I go to and get all the metal that I need for any project that I want. 25 cents/pound carbon steel, 75 cents/pound for aluminum and or stainless steel. The back guard was made of aluminum. The blade is a 12 inch mild steel which is really easy to keep sharp with my tuning steels. All you have to do for this project is order the 12" blade,tuning steels, front guards and arbor from VanDykes Taxidermy. Takes a little work, but you need to thin the hides if you want quality soft tanned furs.

Post subject: Re: Fleshing Machine
PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 9:14 pm 
Veteran Fur Harvester
Veteran Fur Harvester

Province/State: Quebec
City/Town: St Augustin
cool, be cooler to see it in action :)

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 12:13 am 

Province/State: ON
City/Town: Belleville
Organization Membership: OFMF
How big of a motor did you use and what rpm dose the blade spin at?

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 10:12 am 
Veteran Fur Harvester
Veteran Fur Harvester

If you go to youtube and search Shaving6, you will see just how a fleshing machine works. All 7 of his videos are great to watch. Beaver hides need to be fleshed with a fleshing machine if they are to be soft and pliable. The thinner you shave your pickled hides, the deeper tha tanning agents penetrate through and the tanning oil is allowed to penetrate through as well. Breaking the hide will be much more easier as well. The blade spins a little less than 1750 rpm, for the pulley on the motor is slightly smaller than the v-groove of the arbor. I put a 1/2 hp motor on my machine. If you had a 1/3 hp motor, I am sure it would work as well. The sharpness of the blade is like a razor and the speed of the blade allows it to cut through the hide really easy.

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 10:56 am 
Veteran Fur Harvester
Veteran Fur Harvester

thanks for the link, cool, just wondering now if this would work on a seal pelt?

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 4:12 pm 
Veteran Fur Harvester
Veteran Fur Harvester

FRT. This machine works on every pelt you can think of. From elephant to crocadile. Every taxidermis has one in their shop. Every tannery has multiple fleshing machines. If you are planning on tanning seal hides,scrape / flesh them first, salt them heavily for two days, then throw them in the pickling solution for a couple days. Take them out of pickle and shave them down really well with fleshing machine. Throw them back into pickling solution for a couple more days for pickle to penetrate all of the way through. Then continue on to neutralizing/ tanning/ oiling/ breaking/ tumbling stages. Seals are a greasy type of hide and will need to be degreased during and after pickling stages.

Last edited by darton on Tue May 18, 2021 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 6:09 pm 
Veteran Fur Harvester
Veteran Fur Harvester

darton wrote:
FRT. This machine works on every pelt you can think of. From elephant to crocadile. Every taxidermis has one in their shop. Every tannery has multiple fleshing machines. If you are planning on tanning seal hides,scrape / flesh them first, salt them heavily for two days, then throw them in the pickling solution for a couple days. Take them out of pickle and shave them down really well with fleshing machine. Throw them back into pickling solution for a couple more days for pickle to penetrate all of the way through. Then continue on to neutralizing/ tanning/ oiling/ breaking/ tumbling stages. Seals are a greasy type of hide and will need to be degreased diring and after pickling stages.

thanks for the tips