CTTF

Canadian Trappers Talk Forum

All content posted is the sole property of the forum member who made the post. Such content shall not be reproduced in anyway without written consent from the individual member who made the post. Any act to do so will be considered copyright infringement.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:19 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 4:18 pm 

Province/State: Ont
City/Town: Paris
Organization Membership: None
Has been COLD here on the prairies...only -24C here today, warmed up quite a bit actually :/ I will have a fresh hide in a few days (out of meat, will butcher), and want to save the hide to make myself some fur lined mukluks. Lots of "firsts" happening with this one. I have tanned before, mostly used the soak with sulphuric acid and salt, but dont want to go that way this time, hide will be bigger and I want all the hair to remain. And dont want to freeze to death trying this either! I recently read something that said if it is below 0C then salt was not needed on a fresh hide (?), I assumed that was to preserve for later tanning but NOT SURE... Open for suggestions....I only have a few days before I NEED to get this all sorted out!

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 8:53 pm 

Province/State: Ontario
City/Town: New Liskeard
Organization Membership: None, at the moment
I live and work up in Nunavut and it was here that I was introduced to Winter Tanning. Not sure if this is what you are referring to but here goes.
The Inuit tan their skins by first fleshing, after that they hang everything out in the sun for a very long period of time. The sun bleaches the hides white and the wind blowing them around helps with the breaking. After a very long time hung outside in the sun the skins are worked over some more, more scrapping. After that they cut out the patterns for what ever it is they want to make and sew everything together. A lot of their winter gear; such as, mitts, jackets, and pants, are made from Caribou hides and tanned in this fashion. I can tell you that if I were ever caught out in a winter storm here in the Arctic I would hope that I was wearing this traditional style of gear as it is the best and toasty warm. The cons to this type of tanning is that you MUST keep it frozen when not in use. In the freezer during summer and left outside in the winter (just put it on frozen and go - nothing better).