CTTF

Canadian Trappers Talk Forum

All content posted is the sole property of the forum member who made the post. Such content shall not be reproduced in anyway without written consent from the individual member who made the post. Any act to do so will be considered copyright infringement.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:38 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:53 am 
Trapper
Trapper

Province/State: Quebec
We have a Globalstar 1600 since 2002 and I agree with Freerangetrapper comment. But I have a question for him and Merrickvilleguy, how do you managed to keep the older plan ? I'm quite sure that the only plan actually aviable was "Evolution II" at 39,99$/month. Few year ago we have the "Evolution" at 19,99$/month, but they change our... By the way "Evolution 2" plan is aviable before the end of the month, but what will be aviable after that???

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:08 am 
Veteran Fur Harvester
Veteran Fur Harvester

Province/State: Manitoba
City/Town: North Central
Organization Membership: Manitoba Trappers Association

Dealer for Caribou Trapping Knives & Cold Steel Knives.
I just bought and set up my new Globalstar Sat phone. I have used these phones for years way up north when I was guiding big game hunters and had no problems with both.
Like I said I was going to up -date and I pay $40.00 a month unlimited talk and text time anywhere in Canada, no roaming fees and I have been using it these last few days and have no problem. I checked into Iridium and felt it was way over the top for charges.
I have no problem with Globalstar phones and no problem endorsing their phones, but it all boils down to what your personal preferences are what you wanna spend per month to have a phone.

Good phone hunting in which ever you choose.

God Bless

John 3:16)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:26 am 
Veteran Fur Harvester
Veteran Fur Harvester

City/Town: north east
harfang wrote:
We have a Globalstar 1600 since 2002 and I agree with Freerangetrapper comment. But I have a question for him and Merrickvilleguy, how do you managed to keep the older plan ? I'm quite sure that the only plan actually aviable was "Evolution II" at 39,99$/month. Few year ago we have the "Evolution" at 19,99$/month, but they change our... By the way "Evolution 2" plan is aviable before the end of the month, but what will be aviable after that???

I'm going to check into that harfang, thanks for the heads up, mine is up for renewal in a few weeks, I pay once a year and last year in February when renewed and the amount was atomically taken of my credit card so i can't really tell you why i still payed $19,99 a month?

Michel de Montaigne

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:00 am 
Veteran Fur Harvester
Veteran Fur Harvester

Province/State: ontario
City/Town: Lanark
Organization Membership: OFMF
harfang wrote:

Honestly, I'm not entirely sure, we didn't do anything really, we're paying $25.94+fees now for the "2010 Launch Plan"?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:32 am 
Veteran Fur Harvester
Veteran Fur Harvester

merrickvilleguy wrote:
harfang wrote:

Honestly, I'm not entirely sure, we didn't do anything really, we're paying $25.94+fees now for the "2010 Launch Plan"?

Actually I'm not going to inquire, I'll just let them renew my contract and see what gives! :wink:

Michel de Montaigne

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:38 am 
Veteran Fur Harvester
Veteran Fur Harvester

BTW globalstar is getting more satellites shot into orbit today so I'm assuming we're all going to see a rise in fees after this! :(

Michel de Montaigne

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:53 am 
Veteran Fur Harvester
Veteran Fur Harvester

Province/State: QUEBEC
City/Town: Jonquiere
Organization Membership: ATSLSJ president former
CNTA member
trapping supply and luremaker
fergustrap@videotron.ca
FRT it,s mean with global i can talk enough all day long with just -/+ 5 minutes off time between duration, it,s that it is ok for me, what,s best global model i must look for, harfang talk 1600?? for trapping harsh weather conditions?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:51 am 
Trapper
Trapper

We have a GSP-1600, but this model is not longer aviable from Globalstar (maybe on E-Bay or used). The current model is the GSP-1700 and it is a very nice model, that I use went I work at Etamamiou in 2009 and 2010. The 1600, was a lot cheaper went they start offering the 1700. We buy our in 2002, for 900$ and the last one were sold for 400$ with the car kit...who can be use to call in your cottage or your car away from rain and cold.
The 1700 is now lot more cheaper than just few year ago at 500 $... and if I have the choice between both model, I prefer the 1700. Smaller, lighter and more battery capacity. The only advantage of the 1600, is the bi-modal option (also a analogik cell phone, not very useful by those days)...

We carry our 1600 in a Pelican case on the line or at hunting in all wheather and for the last year the time coverage is very acceptable for a "normal" and emergency use. If you have a busy buisness and data to transfert it could be different.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:00 am 
Veteran Fur Harvester
Veteran Fur Harvester

CNTA member
fergustrap@videotron.ca
ok thank Harfang as you know where i,m trapping do you think it good for my areas for just safety tool ?On other subject i have receiving a good sound from MRNF for lynx quotas, i will send a PM for it ok.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:18 am 
Veteran Fur Harvester
Veteran Fur Harvester

fergustrap wrote:
FRT it,s mean with global i can talk enough all day long with just -/+ 5 minutes off time between duration, it,s that it is ok for me, what,s best global model i must look for, harfang talk 1600?? for trapping harsh weather conditions?

Andy check out the link i posted, it the call times tool from globalstar, it'll tell you what the call times and duration of calls are in your area.

Michel de Montaigne

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:52 am 
Veteran Fur Harvester
Veteran Fur Harvester

CNTA member
fergustrap@videotron.ca
Ok Thank FRT i have check and is as your areas, (very good and enough for me)
I think is better deal and safety for trapper to get sat phone than Iphone...lol
do you know why i love this forum because a lot of goods friends can help me with his skill and good advices too... thank X 100's :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:06 pm 
Veteran Fur Harvester
Veteran Fur Harvester

Province/State: 150 mile house bc
City/Town: british columbia
ferg i also have the globalstar Qualcomm payed 500 for it 40 bucks a month unlimited calling, they are like some have said a bit finicky but as long as a person waits till you have at least three bars before making the call it works fine, gives a person about 10 to 15 mins of good talking, just enough time to call for help or have a quick chat with the family and wen talking to the ex wife about our kids it seems to cut out just wen she starts bitching at me :) ""

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:09 pm 
Veteran Fur Harvester
Veteran Fur Harvester

harfang wrote:

Update harfang....i just received my bill for February 15/2013 to February 15/2014, I'm paying same as last year..$370ish which comes to little under $31 per month tax & everything included.

Michel de Montaigne

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:42 pm 
Trapper
Trapper

FRT you probably have a old annual plan who are not longer available for a new customer but I glad you can keep it... Can you share the name of your plan ?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:47 pm 
Veteran Fur Harvester
Veteran Fur Harvester

harfang wrote:
... Can you share the name of your plan ?

The "Customer Plus Annual" plan.

Michel de Montaigne