CTTF

Canadian Trappers Talk Forum

All content posted is the sole property of the forum member who made the post. Such content shall not be reproduced in anyway without written consent from the individual member who made the post. Any act to do so will be considered copyright infringement.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:46 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 9:55 am 

Province/State: Ontario
City/Town: Letterkenney
Organization Membership: None
Hey everybody, I plan on having some beaver furs to tan this fall and I was wanting to get everything purchased for the tanning process before then. I was hoping to dry scrape the furs to keep the fur on so I assume I need a good knife to scrape with. Would any of the knives for skinning beaver be helpful? Or do I need to get something new entirely? Either way is fine, I just imagine that the blade would need sharpening quite a bit scraping the fur so I might just get a scraping knife no matter what is best for it. I am looking at getting a Victorinox Wide Blade Knife for skinning and if needed I can just pick up two of them. Thanks in advance!

I ended up signing up for a basic trapping and skinning course this summer like some people suggested. I also wanted to get some basic knives ready for the course so I ended up getting a Victorinox skinning knife from http://www.used.forsale/canada/edmonton/skinning-knives that I will be sharpening up until my course date. Thanks again everyone!

Last edited by LeaveittoBeaver on Mon May 22, 2017 3:04 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 1:11 am 
Veteran Fur Harvester
Veteran Fur Harvester

Province/State: British Columbia
City/Town: 100 Mile House
Organization Membership: *
I believe a basic trapper course would be beneficial before you make any further decisions.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 7:48 pm 
Veteran Fur Harvester
Veteran Fur Harvester

Province/State: NOVA SCOTIA
City/Town: Central
During the tanning process the hides will need to be thinned . A round wheel will be best for that process.
If the hide is not thinned it will be very difficult to soften.

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 12:10 am 

Province/State: Ontario
City/Town: Letterkenney
I plan on taking a beginner course this fall as there are non in my area right now during a time that works for me. I was mainly hoping to buy some materials before hand so that the expense is spread out more. I thought I might be able to do this but I think you guys are right, I need some proper instructions first. Thanks!