CTTF

Canadian Trappers Talk Forum

All content posted is the sole property of the forum member who made the post. Such content shall not be reproduced in anyway without written consent from the individual member who made the post. Any act to do so will be considered copyright infringement.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:12 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:50 pm 

Province/State: SK
City/Town: Missinipe
Organization Membership: None
Looking for answer from an experienced person please.

I have done alum tanning and rittell ez 100 tan on numerous different animals, some fur on, some fur off. Still learning but making good progress and I've been happy with what I've done so far

My question is, can someone compare making deer or moose into leather (fur off) with alum VS. using a tanning agent like ez tan?

I have gathered that the alum tan is not really for things that will get wet, as the sulphur compounds still inside the cells will turn into acid and break down the leather over time.

Will the ez100 be better for garments?

WHAT IF I use alum pickle for ez tan... Is that going to cause the same problem with degradation over time as just a straight up alum tan?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:44 pm 
Trapper
Trapper

Province/State: Ontario
City/Town: Kawartha Lakes
Organization Membership: Minden Fur Harvesters
Lindsay Fur Harvesters
OFMF
Have you thought about brain tanning instead of chemical. Brain tan lasts longer and the results are much better. You get a more softer supple hide. That will repel water. Even after it has been smoked the hide is better and lasts longer.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:57 am 
Veteran Fur Harvester
Veteran Fur Harvester

City/Town: Smooth Rock
Organization Membership: OFMF
Aluminum sulfate,salt and water when mixed creates a sulfuric acid,which does the pickleing.It sets the hair very well on furskins.
I have used it as a pickle for many different subsequent tans,including KT which is the same chemical and process as EZ.In itself,an aluminum sulfate pickle only, is a good preservative if the skin is neutralized well,and kept from repeated wettings(good for walhangings or rugs,not so good for garments)
Depending on the use you have for the mooseleather,you could veg tan it with quebracho after pickling if you want an extremely strong leather.(for straps or lacing)
Braining is not a true tan.It will break down and can be eaten by animals and bugs if not smoked.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:15 pm 
Veteran Fur Harvester
Veteran Fur Harvester

City/Town: Chapleau
Organization Membership: Chapleau Fur Council, OSARVA, Timmins Fur Council
Wahbush can you explain in detail how the Aluminum sulfate process is done. Will it also work on air dried moose hide. Its been originally smoked. Im hopeing to make a few sheaths just as a trial. Thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:48 pm 
Veteran Fur Harvester
Veteran Fur Harvester

City/Town: Smooth Rock
Organization Membership: OFMF
1 pound of aluminum sulfate+1 pound of pickleing salt+2 gallons of water is your mixing ratio.You will need a good sized plastic container to do a moose hide.I would do 1/4 hide at a time for ease of handling.
Soak for about 5 days,then neutralize with baking soda and water.The ratio for this is a cup of baking soda to 4 gallons of water.
After soaking for 30 to 45 minutes,rinse skin then oil.work it over a beam until dry to soften.
If your working with a dried skin it will need to be relaxed in cool water until it is as soft as when it was skinned off the animal before the pickle\tan.You can soak it in a creek weighted down with stones for a day or two.Check it once in a while and scrape it over the beam to help the dried hide take up the water.
I don't know if you can relax and tan a smoked hide.Only way to find out is to try.
You can re tan a pickle tanned hide anytime with a commercial tanning agent.You will get the best results if you re tan within 6 months.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:54 am 
Veteran Fur Harvester
Veteran Fur Harvester

City/Town: Chapleau
Organization Membership: Chapleau Fur Council, OSARVA, Timmins Fur Council
Thank you!