CTTF

Canadian Trappers Talk Forum

All content posted is the sole property of the forum member who made the post. Such content shall not be reproduced in anyway without written consent from the individual member who made the post. Any act to do so will be considered copyright infringement.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:06 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:29 am 
Veteran Fur Harvester
Veteran Fur Harvester

Province/State: Ontario
City/Town: North Bay
Organization Membership: OFMF Member
I recently tanned a couple smaller/less prime beaver from last year. Seemed to go pretty good. Now that they are dry and i'm brushing them out, there seems to be a good amount of oil and grease. I think most is from the oil i used. I have rubbed saw dust on them pretty good but still seems to be oily.

Can i wash them in soap and water and dry or does someone have a better solution?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:19 pm 
Trapper
Trapper

Province/State: Manitoba
City/Town: Teulon
Organization Membership: manitoba trappers assoc. teulon game and fish. manitoba wildlife federation
depends on what tanning method you used. and/or whether you degreased and shaved hide before tanning

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:00 pm 
Veteran Fur Harvester
Veteran Fur Harvester

i used the orange bottle Trappers Tanning Solution.

I ended up washing the hide really good in dishsoap and water and tossed it in the dryer on the lowest temp setting i had which is basically just moving the air around. took a couple hours to get it dry again and then to be safe i rubbed a thin coating of the solution on the skin side. Not sure i needed to but figured it couldn't hurt.

It came out much nicer then i even expected!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:47 pm 
Veteran Fur Harvester
Veteran Fur Harvester

Province/State: South Western Ontario
City/Town: Berkeley
Organization Membership: OFMF, OFAH, CNTA, Grand Fur Managers, Grey Bruce Trappers Council
Pictures??

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:18 pm 
Trapper
Trapper

Province/State: Manitoba
City/Town: Teulon
Organization Membership: manitoba trappers assoc. teulon game and fish. manitoba wildlife federation
not to be a prick but that is not a fully tanned beaver that will last. that tan is not washable and hide wasnt pickled or thined. i assume .?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:59 pm 
Veteran Fur Harvester
Veteran Fur Harvester

Province/State: NOVA SCOTIA
City/Town: Central
Organization Membership: None
Just because the orange bottle says tanning on it doesnt mean it a tan. That stuff is merely a hide preserver at best.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:41 pm 
Veteran Fur Harvester
Veteran Fur Harvester

jbd wrote:
not to be a prick but that is not a fully tanned beaver that will last. that tan is not washable and hide wasnt pickled or thined. i assume .?

naw all good.

I salted the hides twice for a total of 48hrs, then pickled in salt water (1/2lbs per gal) for 8hrs, let dry until no longer dripping wet, and applied a good amount of the tanning solution. I worked it in really good with my hands. I did use a wire wheel on my grinder for a bit but i feel like it wasn't really "thinning" the hide that well.

Goal is just a wall hanger. Not looking to make clothing. I wanted to try the "orange bottle" but next time will try what Greg recommended!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:42 pm 
Veteran Fur Harvester
Veteran Fur Harvester

Rasorbackq wrote:
Just because the orange bottle says tanning on it doesnt mean it a tan. That stuff is merely a hide preserver at best.

Goal was to have a wall hanger, so i'm not too concerned with longevity of the product for the most part. In fact i made rugs out of them for my kids.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:56 pm 
Veteran Fur Harvester
Veteran Fur Harvester

City/Town: Southern Ontario
Organization Membership: None
To get the oil and grease out of the surface of the hide and hair requires a good tumbling in clean dry hardwood sawdust with some low stinking varsol added to the mixture.
The sawdust should be screened to get the really fine particles out. You only want the coarse particles. All professionally dressed furs get a good tumbling and then are blown out really well to get all wood particles out. That's why all skins have a touch of varsol smell to them.