CTTF

Canadian Trappers Talk Forum

All content posted is the sole property of the forum member who made the post. Such content shall not be reproduced in anyway without written consent from the individual member who made the post. Any act to do so will be considered copyright infringement.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:36 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Taxidermy.net
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 10:34 am 
Trapper
Trapper

Province/State: Ontario
City/Town: Southern
Taxidermy.net is a busy forum, mostly U.S. but some Canadians on there.
It's another avenue for us to make a bit of money trapping. Don't go there expecting to sell everything that you catch, but if you harvest something odd, (anything albino, or extra light or extra dark) you may find a buyer. Skinned for the fur trade and skinned for taxidermy are not usually the same thing, except wolf, bear or wolverine. They have their own way, dorsal skinned is mentioned a lot. I think a lot of them would want the whole animal, so they can skin it themselves. Which makes shipping a big issue. Make sure that everyone involved has the proper licenses, it makes no sense getting into trouble over a few dollars. Trappers and taxidermists aren't the only ones watching these forums. There is also a market for skulls, so if you have a recycling bin full of heads in the swamp waiting for the flies to do their thing, or a place that you regularly return your carcasses to nature, it maybe worth a walk through in the summer to see whats kicking around.

Post subject: Re: Taxidermy.net
PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:12 pm 
Veteran Fur Harvester
Veteran Fur Harvester

Province/State: BC
City/Town: central
Organization Membership: BCTA, BCWF, BCWSS, NFA, HCTF
I posted a black wolf on Taxidermy.net. I had 23 replies the first day. I was not asking a lot as I had already got $250 for the skull. ( a local program ) Anyway, I would encourage others to try that. US buyers usually like to buy from Canada as we use less footholds and the pelts are usually better quality.

One important thing, is you must be able to skin to taxidermy quality. That means leaving the full eye area with lash, leaving on and splitting lips, turning the ears and skinning out the feet all the way to the claw. Most buyers could not afford the shipping for the whole animal. Another thing I have done is to remove the head , but leave the pelt unfleshed and the paws in. Then froze. I have then shipped on a Monday morning and phoned the buyer so they can pick it up immediately. A little extra paid by the buyer, will insure fast delivery.

CNTA founding member
Retired Science Teacher

Post subject: Re: Taxidermy.net
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:14 am 
Veteran Fur Harvester
Veteran Fur Harvester

Province/State: 150 mile house bc
City/Town: british columbia
have a beutiful male wolverine, caught last week, tripple baged and frozen, mounting 1st two myself for sale at chilcotin guns, wl bc. 3rd for sale raw, 600 obo!