CTTF

Canadian Trappers Talk Forum

All content posted is the sole property of the forum member who made the post. Such content shall not be reproduced in anyway without written consent from the individual member who made the post. Any act to do so will be considered copyright infringement.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:12 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:22 pm 
Veteran Fur Harvester
Veteran Fur Harvester

Province/State: Saskatchewan
City/Town: Saskatoon
Organization Membership: STA, FIC
I'm sure there are many of you that, like me, eat pretty much only wild meat and fish. I can count on one hand how many times I've eaten something raised in a pen (on land or in water) over the last year. A big part of my connection to the land is what it puts on the table for my family. I quickly searched "recipe" and aside from some lure recipes, I did see some threads where folks were sharing cooking recipes. I haven't been trapping for long, but so far have tried beaver and muskrat, both of which are great if prepared properly. I've also heard that many others are fantastic, including the cats. Trappers are often criticised that we don't fully utilize the animals we catch, and while I have issues with that criticism because the carcasses are returned to nature to feed whatever finds them first, we do eat some of what we trap. I think a separate forum with a topic thread for each species, as well as one for the usual table fare (deer, moose, elk, bear, grouse (upland birds), rabbit, waterfowl, etc) where we could post new or tried and true recipes would be great. That way, if you are looking for recipes for any particular animal, it would be quick and easy to find. I'll certainly make an effort to test many of my favourite recipes with furbearers and post recipes and pictures.

Thoughts?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:21 pm 
Veteran Fur Harvester
Veteran Fur Harvester

Province/State: South Western Ontario
City/Town: Berkeley
Organization Membership: OFMF, OFAH, CNTA, Grand Fur Managers, Grey Bruce Trappers Council
This is a good idea!! I have heard "prepared properly" way too often, without further instruction and would appreciate more information!! I had beaver last season and would have probably turned out better, if I actually had a better idea of hanging times.
Consider the price of meat at the grocery store and more of us will be consuming more of our good catch, hopefully your idea catches on!! :D

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:13 am 
Veteran Fur Harvester
Veteran Fur Harvester

Province/State: saskatchewan
City/Town: central
Organization Membership: North American Trap Collectors, Ontario Fur Managers, Saskatchewan Trappers, British Columbia Trappers Association, National Trappers Association, Canadian National Trappers Association
Sounds good

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:54 am 
Veteran Fur Harvester
Veteran Fur Harvester

Province/State: Quebec
City/Town: Côte-Nord
Excellent idea! ""

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:30 am 
Veteran Fur Harvester
Veteran Fur Harvester

Province/State: 150 mile house bc
City/Town: british columbia
Like it ""

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:34 pm 
Veteran Fur Harvester
Veteran Fur Harvester

Province/State: Saskatchewan
City/Town: Saskatoon
Organization Membership: STA, FIC
Found a recipe for Fried Beaver Tail yesterday... Now I just need to get out and catch a few more to try it...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am 
Trapper
Trapper

Province/State: ontario canada
City/Town: chesley
Organization Membership: grey bruce trappers council
good idea wild game kitchen