CTTF

Canadian Trappers Talk Forum

All content posted is the sole property of the forum member who made the post. Such content shall not be reproduced in anyway without written consent from the individual member who made the post. Any act to do so will be considered copyright infringement.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:08 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: First One - Beaver
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:33 pm 
Veteran Fur Harvester
Veteran Fur Harvester

Province/State: Ontario
City/Town: Haileybury
Organization Membership: OFMF, Temagami Fur council
Just tried tanning my first beaver with the hide tanning formula in the orange bottle, turned out pretty good. I followed the instructions to the t. I used a small fall beaver and the hide was just good not too thick.
Things I will do differently on the next one:
1. Start stretching it and working it sooner. I spread the solution on and folded it up for about 12 hours then opened it up to dry. I started stretching and working it after about 20 - 24 hours. There were really dry patches and patches that were still wet when I started. The inconsistency made it hard to work. Next time I will start after about 12 -18 hours of drying open. I stretched a piece of snare cable on a rack and that worked very well for working the pelt on.
2. Not pull so hard when stretching... I tore the pelt in half.
3. Cut open the leg holes at the beginning. Working it around the leg holes is difficult.
4. Cut off the face part at the beginning, leaving the ear holes to grip. I am planning on using the pelts for mitts and hats so the face area is unnecessary and it is very hard to work.
Questions I have:
Has anyone out there tried a large beaver? Does the thick hide make it very difficult to work and soften.
Is there an oil or softening solution I can apply after tanning and working? Would mink oil or dubbing work?
Any other suggestions or experiences are welcome.
Can't wait to start another..I'm kicking myself for sending in all my beavers, guess I'll have to get off my butt and catch some more before the season ends.
Cheers,
Jason

Post subject: Re: First One - Beaver
PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:12 am 
Veteran Fur Harvester
Veteran Fur Harvester

Province/State: Saskatchewan
City/Town: Goodeve
Organization Membership: Sk. Trappers Assoc., Sk. Wildlife Federation, Nature Saskatchewan, Kelsey Ecological Society
What is the name on the "orange bottle" of tanning solution. I am curious whether it is the same solution I picked up from Halfords?
:?:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:26 am 
Veteran Fur Harvester
Veteran Fur Harvester

The orange bottle stuff is called "Hide Tanning Formula" . It says on the back of the bottle "a product of Cumberland's Trapper's Supply, Inc."
Not sure what's in it. Anyone have any ideas about what the ingredients are?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:34 pm 
Veteran Fur Harvester
Veteran Fur Harvester

City/Town: Regina
Organization Membership: STA, NAFA
Your beaver will be tanned forever and no fur will slip, but it will turn harder than cardboard and cannot be softened. I have tried numerous times to use that particlar tanning solution with no luck on making garment quality hides. The orange bottle works great on thin hides but does not work for beaver

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:24 pm 
Veteran Fur Harvester
Veteran Fur Harvester

Thanks for the heads up 5911ryan. Any suggestions on what works to make garment quality beaver hides?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:53 am 
Veteran Fur Harvester
Veteran Fur Harvester

Province/State: North Eastern Ontario
City/Town: Kenogami Lake
Organization Membership: OFMF Kirkland Lake Trappers Council
eagerbeaver wrote:
Thanks for the heads up 5911ryan. Any suggestions on what works to make garment quality beaver hides?

Take them down to FHA befor June 1 and they will have the back by Feb or so the following year. Very resonable,look after all the permits and the royalties. Ive had several done now and the tan is excellent and very uniform. This makes it legal at the present time to sell your finished goods. I've had good success with the "trappers hide tanning formula" that you mention but minimul on beaver. As mentioned before the thinner hides IMO will take a better tan. On the beaver you did try thinning the leather with sandpaper or carefully on with a hand held grinder with a wire cup brush. Just use with care

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:58 pm 
Veteran Fur Harvester
Veteran Fur Harvester

City/Town: North Central
Organization Membership: None
I have a couple small beavers in the pickle right now. I will be tanning with Rittels EZ tan 100. Costs about the same as a bottle of the orange stuff but you could tan a pile of stuff with it. I have tried a couple big beaver and it tanned them fine but getting the hide broken and soft is another story. These small beaver should break pretty good although its not critical for my use. I'm just going to put them on alder hoops.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:44 pm 
Veteran Fur Harvester
Veteran Fur Harvester

City/Town: Goodeve
Organization Membership: Sk. Trappers Assoc., Sk. Wildlife Federation, Nature Saskatchewan, Kelsey Ecological Society
I have had the general results with the orange bottled stuff where it tans it fine enough but no matter how much you work it to get a softer hide it never seems pliable enought for garmet work, at least for me.
:)

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 5:15 pm 
Veteran Fur Harvester
Veteran Fur Harvester

City/Town: Ottawa
I have tanned deer hides with Lutan F and they turned out nice. The hides look white & when broken they are very soft. I am going to try some raccoon this Fall. I have a moose hide that I left in the pickle all Winter. It was so big I had to cut it in 2 pieces to be able to work with it. I plan to use Lutan F for tanning the moose hide as well. I have never tired the stuff in the orange bottle.

George

Beaver
Otter
Marten (0 quota)
Weasels
Coyote
Fox
Fisher
Lynx (0 quota)
Raccoon
Skunk

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:04 pm 
Veteran Fur Harvester
Veteran Fur Harvester

City/Town: NWO
So, if your going to tan a beaver, do you board it first to dry then tan or do you skip the boarding stage and go right to tanning?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:21 pm 
Veteran Fur Harvester
Veteran Fur Harvester

City/Town: Timmins
Organization Membership: Timmins Fur Council
I have heard many guys say they have a hard time tanning beaver with the orange bottle tanning formula, I am wondering if any of you guys tried tanning kits ( youth beaver that is, not chemical tanning kits) did the kits work out any better than the adults? I am looking for something to do with my kits, the 4$ at auction is not worth the effort.