CTTF

Canadian Trappers Talk Forum

All content posted is the sole property of the forum member who made the post. Such content shall not be reproduced in anyway without written consent from the individual member who made the post. Any act to do so will be considered copyright infringement.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:43 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Iodized salt and tanning
PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:09 am 
Veteran Fur Harvester
Veteran Fur Harvester

Province/State: Ontario
City/Town: Haileybury
Organization Membership: OFMF, Temagami Fur council
I am going to try tanning a small beaver this week. I will be using the orange bottle stuff. I watched a video on youtube and the guy said not to use iodized salt, with no explanation. Does anyone have any comments on this? It does not say anything on the bottle about it. Where would I get salt that is not iodized. What is everyone out there using?
Cheers
Jason

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:13 am 
Trapper
Trapper

City/Town: Kirkalnd Lake
Organization Membership: None
You can find it at the gracery store called "Pickeling Salt" - I guess even road salt would work, although a bit too course to rub into all the nooks and crannies. I'm not sure why the no iodine, but I have heard that many times.

MC

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:36 am 
Veteran Fur Harvester
Veteran Fur Harvester

City/Town: North Central
The Co-op or tsc should have plain salt. Its cheaper than the grocery store stuff.

http://www.tscstores.com/20KG-FINE-GRAN ... P3564.aspx

I have used it in tanning before works fine. So does the iodized salt to though... :?:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:22 pm 

City/Town: Windsor
Organization Membership: None yet
It's just one of those "rules" that some taxidermists live by while others don't. Reasons for using non-iodized salt instead of iodized salt that I've heard were "iodized salt will stain the skin green/blue", "it will mess with the pH balance of the tanning solution", etc etc etc.
Iodized or non-iodized, whatever the reasons are for, who knows lol.. but non-iodized, pickling, or "feed salt" can be bought in bulk for quite cheap at your average farming supply store like Tractor Supply.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:44 pm 
Veteran Fur Harvester
Veteran Fur Harvester

Province/State: South Western Ontario
City/Town: Berkeley
Organization Membership: OFMF, OFAH, CNTA, Grand Fur Managers, Grey Bruce Trappers Council
Eb...work the small hide well...mine got really hard...makes a great furry hockey puck.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:40 am 
Veteran Fur Harvester
Veteran Fur Harvester

Province/State: Saskatchewan
City/Town: Regina
Organization Membership: STA, NAFA
I have used regular iodized salt for tanning. It works just fine. However, I must warn you about tanning beavers with the orange bottle tanning solution. I have literally tried a dozen times with different methods and beavers cannot be tanned soft. This WILL NOT give you a soft leather. The leather will be tanned, no fur will fall out, but it will be harder than cardboard. I'm not sure what you're planning to do with the beaver, but rule out all garments. The orange bottle stuff works really well on all hides except beaver and coon. I've even tanned bears with it with good results, but beavers just do not break. I have tried using acid pickles too, with no success. The only way to get beavers to soften is to use the commercial hide planers. Then you might have a soft leather. I have also had other guys use other tanning solutions with the same results. Hope that helps. Ryan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:54 am 
Veteran Fur Harvester
Veteran Fur Harvester

Province/State: Sask
City/Town: P.A
It can get pretty flexible if you work really hard, good enough for mitts. I am trying to make something that will break hide at the moment..Maybe I should try my electric hand wood planer to thin it down??..lol

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:19 am 
Veteran Fur Harvester
Veteran Fur Harvester

Province/State: Saskatchewan
City/Town: Regina
Organization Membership: STA, NAFA
That might work. I tried a wire wheel on my drill. I had hide dust all over and still never had any luck. I got it down that the hide was dark again, so I retanned it hoping I had thinned it down enough. Still no luck. I have 2 black beavers skinned, fleshed and salted. They'll be heading to Halfords to get professionally done this time. I have wrecked the previous 3 other black beavers I caught in my life. Tanning coyotes and fox is easy compared to a beaver. Ryan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:25 am 

City/Town: Windsor
Organization Membership: None yet
5911ryan wrote:
I have used regular iodized salt for tanning. It works just fine.

Awesome stuff. I've used it for plain ol' salting and never had hide discolouration, but never used it for tanning. I think some taxidermists are just set in their ways.. lol